Monday, February 27, 2012

I Want to Thank the Academy...



Did you catch the Oscars last night?  I caught the first half or so, as well as the pre-show red carpet arrivals.  I've never actually sat down and watched an awards show before - it was fun!  Like a meet and greet for Hollywood's most attractive, talented people!  I wanted to keep track of the things that stood out to me (specifically the fashion hits and misses, of course) so I could write about them later, so I decided to take some notes down in my phone.  What I ended up with was this, a crazy mishmash of celebrity nonsense:

*Tina Fey's peplum/bun combo!
*Jean Dujardin's accent <3
*Jury is out on Michelle Williams
*Penelope Cruz dress ugh!
*Jason Segel was so cute!!
*Shave your mustache, Bradley Cooper...and please don't make a 3rd Hangover
*Lucky wench Stacy Keibler and her pretty metallic dress
*Brad Pitt, cut your hair.  Also, you look like you might have BO. And your woman is ridiculous.
*Rooney Mara - not wearing black?!?!
*Jessica Castain and Emma Stone:  meh
*Rose Byrne's sequins!
*Me gusta Natalie Portman's red dress
*Why interview someone who is most well-known for being the voice of a cartoon donkey?
*I hope Morgan Freeman never dies
*Viola Davis in emerald green:  amazing!
* I sure do love me some Meryl Streep

So there's my Oscars review!  :)  But now, for some specifics:
The Hits:






1.  Kristen Wiig in J. Mendel - Lots of people describe the Bridesmaids star's gown as being "meh", insisting that Kristen should not have gone with the color beige.  But I thought she looked beautiful!  Her hair and skin tone went perfectly with the shade, and the floaty skirt was ethereal and gorgeous.

2.   Natalie Portman in vintage Dior - Classy and SO beautiful!  Everything about Natalie's ensemble screamed grace and elegance, from her finger waves to the simple black clutch to the gorgeous sparkler at her neck - perfect!

3.  Viola Davis in Vera Wang - Many disliked Davis' vibrant green dress, and I can understand why:  the bustier-like top was kind of extreme, and the dress had all sorts of competing elements, like the ruffles, pleats, cutout, etc.  But I thought she made the right choice - the emerald green stands out against her skin, and I give her props for going with her natural hair.  Bold!

4.  Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera - At first glance, I really did not care for the funny girl's look whatsoever.  But after looking at it a few more times, I became a fan!  The peplum is huge this season, and I thought Tina pulled it off nicely.  And the high bun is definitely unexpected, but it worked!  (Jared, on the other hand, took one look and said, "Ugh.  Ugliest.  Dress.  Ever."  But we all know that the peplum isn't really designed to appeal to a man's eyes, right?!)

5.  Kate Mara in Jack Guisso Couture - Love the color, the hair, and the floral accents!  But Kate...both you and your sister (Dragon Tattoo star Rooney Mara) need to learn to SMILE on the red carpet!!

6.  Rose Byrne in Vivienne Westwood - I don't know that I would want to be friends with Rose Byrne...she always looks as though she smells something bad when I see her in pictures.  But this black sequined gown is to die for, and I will never get sick of that flawless bob with bangs!
7.  Meryl Streep in Lanvin - Meryl Streep is just timeless, no doubt about it.  She can do no wrong.  This metallic number is no exception. 
8.  Stacy Kiebler in Marchesa - This was a controversial fashion choice, but I think Stacy looks fabulous as always.  The origami-style flower at her hip was very bold, and she pulled it off nicely.  Her gorgeous blond hair looks perfect with the dress!

Nominations for Best Hair:
(all found here)

NOT on my Best-Dressed List!:
(here and here)
Really, Angelina Jolie?  Really?  I saw enough of your muscular friggin' thigh last night to last me a lifetime!  You were posing so hard, jutting that leg out SO FAR...that I'm a little concerned you may have hurt yourself.  I mean, it's not like we haven't seen it before, Angie.  As you can see from the photo above, the dress with a slit isn't exactly a rare item in your wardrobe.  Enough with the leg.  Just...enough.

(found here)
Sorry, Penelope Cruz.  I sure do like you, but I wasn't diggin' it last night.  I thought she resembled a bridesmaid from the 50s or something.  Just...an unflattering look on a gorgeous woman.

(found here)
I give Rooney Mara some serious props for choosing a color OTHER than black on the red carpet.  While I would have gone with some actual color rather than white, it's a change for her, which is good.  However, there was some detailing on the bust that was just...weird.  And her bangs.  Just...awkward for me.  No.

(found here)
Lots of people were huge fans of Gwyneth's white cape/gown combo.  Other than her stunning sparkly accessories, I was definitely not a fan.  I don't understand the cape.  She's not Superman, she's Gwyneth Paltrow, for God's sake.  And her ponytail looks halfhearted and sad.  That is all.

Final Thoughts:  Yes, Michelle Williams' pixie cut is adorable, and her coral peplum gown with the little sparkly brooch was cute and quirky and fun.  BUT nothing will beat the marigold dress of 2006, and that is that.  Also, I will never see the appeal of Emma Stone and her manly, lisping voice.  Also, her ridiculously large neck bow was a total ripoff of Nicole Kidman circa '07.  Take that.

Overall, though, I thought there were many more fashion hits than misses in this year's Oscars!  Cheers!

xoxochelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment