Sunday, February 19, 2012

After a Ridiculously Long Hiatus from Blogging...Best Books of the (Past Two) Week(s)

Okay, okay.  I'm officially the worst blogger ever.  Apologies are definitely in order, and I'd like to be able to give a succinct and acceptable explanation as to why I've been completely MIA as of late, but I'm afraid I can't do that.  Let's just say that I've been having a rough time of things lately, and this break (from blogging, from work, from...responsibility?) has sort of helped me figure out just what I want to do about it.  Get my...poop in a group, if you will!  And that's all I will say about that!  :)

My recent excess of spare time has led to a few positive outcomes, though, including some amaaaaazing books!  It has gotten to the point where I'm embarrassed to show my face at the library, seriously.  I'm always afraid they're going to roll their eyes and say..."You again?!  Jesus, woman, how much can one person READ?"  But they haven't so far, so here's hoping!  Anyway, I've been able to increase my reading time by craaazy proportions, and here's the top 3 I've read recently:

Whiter than Snow - Sandra Dallas
This book was so so so very good!!! I really loved it, and it made me want to read more of Dallas’ work! An avalanche tears through the Colorado mountains, taking with it and burying 9 local children, all from very different backgrounds and parents. Only four of the nine survive. The book takes you into the lives and backgrounds of these children, talking about their parents and how they got to where they are now. A fascinating look at the different types of families that are out there with a heartbreaking conclusion.

The Sweet By and By - Todd Johnson 
I really liked this book! It was equal parts funny AND touching, which is rare. This novel is told through 5 different narrators of different ages and races. Two of the women are in a nursing home, one is a nurse in the nursing home, one is a hairdresser for the ladies in the nursing home, and the last is the daughter of the nurse. All of these women’s lives come together in this novel in a very poignant way, and it was incredibly moving to see each character change and grow in her own way. The nursing home scenes, in particular, were extremely heartbreaking.
Weekends at Bellevue - Julie Holland
Me gusta mucho!!!! This was a great memoir! Holland worked for nine years at the psychiatric emergency room in New York, and this book described her experiences (crazy, touching, and everything in between) while there. I enjoyed the funny moments the most, as well as the fact that she admitted when she made mistakes or could have done something better when on the job.
If you're looking for some good books to read, these are three great ones to pick up! 

xoxochelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment