Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fashion Inspired by Characters, Part 2: Movies

Continuing from this post.  There are some movies or television shows that I watch over and over again simply because there's such amazing fashion in them.  In terms of TV, it would be Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl (why did I leave those out of the previous post?!).  Movie-wise, there's too many to name.  But one of them is definitely Clueless, so prepare yourself for some tartan!  There were a lot here I wanted to include (especially Disney movies like Alice in Wonderland and Beauty and the Beast), but there seemed to be way too many collared dresses and aprons in Disney movies, and I just couldn't make a cute outfit outta that.

Fashionable Ladies in the Movies

Cher Horowitz, Clueless (photo from here)




































Suno green plaid relaxed blazer - Avenue 32, $470
Carmina beret - Hats.com, $36
Herve Leger bandage skirt - The Outnet, $581
Stella McCartney Beckett bag - Stella McCartney, $1,145
Knee high socks - House of Fraser, $8.22
American Rag Meesha mary jane wedges - Macy's, $40

During the mid-90s, Cher Horowitz was the shit in her tartan and platform mary jane shoes.  She was one of the most iconic blondes of that generation (speaking of, OMG I forgot about Elle Woods!)  I remember being EXTREMELY jealous of her closet, which coordinated outfits for her using a computer.  Pretty sure you could get a real closet like this now that it is no longer 1995.  Dionne was also pretty well-dressed, but her furry hats were just too much for me, so I didn't include her here.  :)  Cher is all about shopping, so I figured she needed to be carrying a "shopping bag"...however, this particular bag is Stella McCartney and has a terrifying price tag.  I think she'd totally wear this outfit to class on a presentation day and look like a total Betty.  Or maybe to a party in the Valley, while...rollin' with her homies.  (Too much?)

Melaina, Shag (photo from here)








































Cat eye sunglasses - Amazon, price not included
Red bandana headband - Etsy, $16
TopShop lipstick in Saint - TopShop, $16
TopShop stripe crop top - TopShop, $36
Warehouse cigarette trouser - House of Fraser, $41
Ravishing Routine flat - ModCloth, $40

I freaking love the movie Shag.  It is one of the best summer fun movies of all time, and if you haven't seen it, you should probably put it on your to-watch list.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it here before, but I'll recap.  Four girls (Pudge is the tomboy, Melaina is the wannabe starlet, Luanne is the smarty-pants rule-follower, and Carson is the naive goody goody) go on a trip to Myrtle Beach before one of them is to be married.  It stars Phoebe Cates and Bridget Fonda and is just great and chock-full of amazing sixties fashion.  Though I love all the girls' styles, Melaina is probably my favorite.  There is one scene where she's all dressed up for a party, and she's wearing this awwwwesommme capri pants/cape combo, oh my gosh.  I love.  Anyway...the trend of crop tops is something that is coming around again today, and it is seen A LOT in this movie, particularly on (the sort of slutty, I'll admit) Melaina.  This trend makes me want to do some situps so I can pull it off too.  I also love the pale-pink lipstick Melaina wears during the movie.

Badass Sandy, Grease (photo from here)









































Nars Semi Matte Lipstick in Schiap - Net-A-Porter, $26
Milly strapless jumpsuit - Net-A-Porter, $395
Pink Ladies jacket - anniepoodleskirts.com, price not included
Josie Natori gemstone belt - Saks Fifth Avenue, $350
Valentino slingbacks - Valentino, $945

A take on Sandra "Tell Me About It, Stud" Dee's naughty catsuit at the end of the movie.  I love the pink studded heels over the red ones she wore, plus the Nars hot pink lipstick (which I have and LOVE).  And I know, I know, I know that Sandy never actually wore a Pink Ladies jacket...but it would look pretty awesome slung over the shoulders of this strapless jumpsuit.

Also, when I was younger, I adored this scene, when the Pink Ladies dress her up and teach her how to smoke a cigarette, and then Danny was all like "It's ELECTRIFYING" and in love.  But now I realize that really, this scene kind of sucks.  It's like, Sandy, if you wanna turn into a dirty girl, do it for your own damn self, not for a greaser who gropes you at the drive in movies.  (Although yeah, Danny was pretty sexy.)

Coraline, from the movie Coraline (photo from here)










































Russian dragonfly pin - The Met Store, price not included
Yellow raincoat - Petit Bateau, $215
Guess Kate star-print denim leggings - Macy's, $138
Hunter original glossy rainboot in Graphite Gray - Jildor Shoes, $140

I would give anything to own a glossy, shiny, squeaky rain slicker like I used to have when I was little.  This yellow one that Coraline favors is pretty much perfection, especially combined with her electric blue hair.  The star-print jeans are a shout-out to the star-printed sweater that she wears in another part of the film.  I love this movie...Neil Gaiman can do no wrong.

Romy and Michele, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (photo from here)







































Black faux fur shrug - Debenhams, $52
Dangling cherry earrings - JCPenney, $15
TopShop metallic swing slip dress - TopShop, $30
Juliet clutch - Etsy, $140
Jeffrey Campbell Curie mule - Nasty Gal, $155

This outfit is a little wacky.  But so are Romy and Michele.  (They invented Post-Its, you know.)  The cherry earrings remind me SO MUCH of Michele (who, let's face it, is PHOEBE, no other character, no matter what you say), and I had to add some feathers, some fur, and some sparkle to make this outfit fit their classy standards.  This lingerie-inspired dress is pretty awesome and would actually look kind of fantastic under an oversized blazer, but Romy and Michele never seemed like businesswomen, no matter how hard they tried to be.  Also, these shoes are so 90s, I can't even stand it.  They look like something I could have ordered out of the Girlfriends LA catalog in 1998, along with some scented nail polish and a shirt that said "Angel" on it.  Love it.

Samantha, Sixteen Candles (photo from here)






























Leopard brim fedora - 2 B Stores, $12
Chanel vintage pearl rock earrings - Far Fetch, $704
Angie top - Vero Moda, $34
Alexander McQueen floral print leggings - Far Fetch, $671
Keds - All Sole, $23

I like to think that if I were a teenager in the 80s, I would basically be Molly Ringwald with brown hair.  But I don't think I would be able to be that cool.  If 1980s Molly Ringwald were wearing these earrings, she probably found them rummaging through a bin at the Salvation Army or she found them at a cool estate sale or something - she wouldn't even know or care that they were Chanel, that's how cool she was.  I have a fedora like this, but I could never pull it off with floral prints and Keds like she did; instead, I wear it with tank tops and maxi skirts, and my husband tells me I look dumb.  I love Molly Ringwald, and I love this movie.  Specifically, Long Duck Dong and The Geek (AKA Anthony Michael Hall, who I, in all sincerity, would have gone after rather than Jake Ryan.)

Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (photo from here)


Prose and Contrast dress - ModCloth, $53
Black patent mary jane heels - Marc Jacobs, $238

My parents would not be surprised to learn that my favorite character in this movie was, of course, Miss Veruca Salt.  I would practice speaking in a British accent and sing (loudly) in the shower about how I was going to lock it all up in my pocket, it's MY bar of chocolate...etc.  I also loved her long, pretty hair and her collared red dress.  ModCloth never fails to carry adorable dresses, and this Veruca-inspired one doesn't disappoint.  I updated her white tights and flats ensemble with a bit more grown-up bare legs and heels...and I am pretty sure Veruca would never say no to a little something from Tiffany.  I also chose a luxe-looking headband to dress it up a little when she wants to wear it with braids in her hair and she DOESN'T WANT TO SHARE 'EM!


 Allie, The Notebook (photo from here)


'

































Red turban headwrap - Etsy, $14
Lipstick in Infrared - TopShop, $16
Bathing Beauty two piece - ModCloth, $90

You should know that I hate this scene.  It instills in me the same eye-rolling, gagging feeling that I get during the "to the stars" line in Titanic or when Cindy Lou kisses the Grinch's cheek and says it's warm.  Ugh.  Puke.  I am not sure why I have such a bad attitude toward sentiment in movies, but I think I might be kind of cold-hearted.  : /  Anyway!  If you mute the sound and try to ignore Rachel McAdams flapping her arms like she is, in fact, a bird...this scene is pretty fantastic.  I love Mr. Gosling's newsboy cap ("Hey girl.  Do you like my hat?"), and I have always wanted a vintage bathing suit like Allie wears in this scene.  Paired with the turban-esque headband, it is some amazing 1940s fashion.  The whole movie has a great wardrobe.


Summer, 500 Days of Summer (photo from here)











































Tasha narrow bow headband - Nordstrom, $28
Lost top - Oliver Bonas, $25
Millie scallop hem shorts - Forever New, $45
Tory Burch straw tote - Neiman Marcus, $435
Eloise Spacedye plaid tights - Anthropologie, $24
Pacey driver ballet flats - Tory Burch, $193

Zooey Deschanel always looks like she raided some grandmother's closet...in the best way possible.  She is able to mix vintage-inspired pieces with more modern items to make the look totally unique.  And I wish my bangs looked like her bangs instead of floppy Disney-prince bangs.  Ugh.  Anyway.  I have mixed feelings about Summer in the movie 500 Days of Summer (because I don't know who would want to be "just friends" with the beauty that is Joseph Gordon-Levitt), but I have nothing but love for her wardrobe!  She's all about tailored shorts and cute sundresses.  I noticed that when I wear high-waisted shorts it looks like I am wearing a diaper...otherwise, I would replicate this outfit immediately!

All right, I'm off to plan some outfits!  :)
xoxochelsea



No comments:

Post a Comment