Wednesday, November 27, 2013

YA Novels I Loved

I tend to stick mostly with adult women's fiction and memoirs, but every once in a while, a YA novel that isn't about vampire/werewolf/zombie love comes around and sticks with me.  Here are a few great ones that I could go for rereading!  (All photos from Amazon)

Why We Broke Up - Daniel Handler
I like the idea of a young adult novel being illustrated - it was fun and made it really easy to zoom through.  Min is writing Ed a letter giving him reasons for their split, along with a box of "their" stuff.  Each portion of the story focuses on an object inside the box and why it's in there.  Yeah, the narrator was pretty childish...but I enjoyed every second of it.  I hear this is going to be a movie starring Selena Gomez, which...is probably going to ruin it for me.

This Gorgeous Game - Donna Freitas
Olivia wins a writing contest and gets to take a class from a famous and well-respected priest.  She is overjoyed...until her idol Father Mark basically starts stalking her.  A great little YA novel concerning power abuse.  I felt for Olivia, and I was more disgusted by Father Mark than I think I ever have been by a character.

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
I felt like I was the last person on the bandwagon with reading this book.  But the wait was worth it.  This was one book that definitely lived up to the hype.  Hazel has terminal cancer, as does the boy she meets at a support group named Augustus.  This could turn cliche sooo easily, but for me it never did.  I RARELY cry when reading a book, but I bawled during this one.  It was heartbreaking.  

Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer
Jodi Picoult used to be one of my favorite adult authors, and this young adult novel written by her and her daughter does not disappoint.  It sounds dumb when I describe it, but just bear with me here:  The narrator is obsessed with this childhood fairy tale - specifically, the main character Oliver.  The whole book consists of the question:  What happens to the characters once the books pages are closed?  It was a very cute and unique story, a good read for when you're wanting to feel like a kid again.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
This strange but amazing novel used disturbing photographs that were creepy as hell to move the story along!  After his grandfather dies, the narrator decides to go to the old orphanage where he grew up, only to find out some worrisome facts about the children there.  Mysterious, weird, and awesome!

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King
This YA novel by King doesn't pack the scary punch of his adult novels, but it's still a great read.  A fist-clenching survival story about a 9-year-old girl named Trisha who gets lost in the woods.  And she's not alone.  If you're a King fan, definitely give this a try.

Just Like That - Marsha Qualey
I absolutely loved this book when I was in high school.  I can't quite remember now what exactly it was that drew me in, though.  It's about a girl who witnesses an awful accident and doesn't know how to respond to it.  It's very relatable and poetically written.

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness
I can't tell too much about this book's plot because it would give everything away.  Every night after midnight, a monster shows up outside a young boy's room.  But the monster isn't what you think it is.  Sad, real, and heartbreaking, I really enjoyed this illustrated book.

Sloppy Firsts - Megan McCafferty (The Jessica Darling series)
This series was my go-to when I was fifteen.  Jess Darling is a cynical high schooler full of sarcasm and wit.  Honestly, the series has no real plot besides just following her through her life.  But the writing is pretty outstanding, and Marcus Flutie is like the sexiest male book character out there.

The Diviners - Libba Bray
Okay, please don't judge this book by its awful, awful cover art.  It's not at all what the cover makes it out to be.  I ADORED THIS!  Evie has moved to New York City in the 1920s, and abruptly finds herself in the midst of a serial killer's rampage.  Meh, that didn't really do it justice either.  I'll try harder.  17-year-old Evie is sent to live with her uncle Will in NYC at the "Museum of Creepy Crawlies," her uncle's strange museum.  A rowdy flapper, she has the time of her life, until an occult-based murderer known as Naughty John comes around.  LOVE everything about this!  I was actually pretty scared by this novel, and that doesn't happen often.

Happy reading!
xoxochelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment