Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Gift Guide: For Your Mother who Averages 3 Books a Week and Always Lets You Have her Leftover Meals

Now that the holidays are upon us, I thought it would be fun to start doing Christmas (Hanukkah, Chanukkah, Kwanzaa, what have you...) gift guides!  There are tons out there on the blogosphere, and the Oprah magazine version alone nearly blew my mind - how can there even be so many beautiful things in the world?!  I saw a sweater with a fox screen-printed on it, along with a chevron-printed urn, and I nearly decided to do the first gift guide as things I would like for Christmas - 'cause we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl :) - but I decided to be a little less greedy and dedicate this guide to moms instead.  Now, if my own mother is reading this, I will have her know that this gift guide is purely hypothetical, and I have in fact had her gifts wrapped and ready to go since late October.  Not to brag or anything :)



1.  These beautiful, hard-cover classics like Jane Eyre, Little Women, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland would be cherished eye candy in her bookshelf. ($20-22)

2.  A hot apple cider-scented candle inside a pretty enamel mug is a wintery gift good for any mom!  ($24)

3.  This hand-altered Moleskine journal featuring a quote from The Wizard of Oz - a favorite of my own mother's - would be perfect for jotting down birthday lists, recipe ideas, you name it!  I love this etsy seller! ($11.25)

4.  For a few years now, I have been wanting to buy my mom this adorable, quirky bracelet made of vintage Barbie game pictures - featuring hunky Ken right next to Barbie, of  course!  Only problem...the price.  ($65)

5.  I'm not sure why, but this dip-dyed, ombre blanket just kind of screams MOM at me.  It comes in three different shades of beautiful, soft blue. ($49)

6.  These lidded mason jar sippers are soooo so cute for a little summer family get-together.  I think I may need to buy these for a gift, but keep some for myself :)  Pretty sure my mom is already a little mason jar-ed out from the wedding, anyway!  ($4 each)

7.  My mother is basically obsessed with the beach - OBSESSED.  These pave starfish earrings would look great on her.  ($24.50)

8.  Buy your social butterfly of a mother some gorgeous, gilded stationery so she can keep in touch with her nearest and dearest.  ($20)

9.  A winter-wonderland-scented Philosophy gift set.  Because she takes more bubble baths than anyone you know.  ($38)

And a bonus book gift for moms...










You Know When the Men are Gone - Siobhan Fallon
($9.58 on Amazon)

If I could write a book, this would be the kind of book I would want to write.  This was a breathtaking set of intertwined stories set on an army base in Fort Hood, Texas.  Each tale gave us a poignant and intimate look at the lives inside the walls of waiting army wives, abandoned spouses, and tortured former soldiers.  Though not particularly uplifting, the writing is lyrical and memorable, and the stories are ones that will stick with you. 

xoxochelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment