Friday, March 2, 2012

Best Books of this Week!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss

(picture from here)
Almost Perfect - Dianne Blacklock
I really liked this book! Anna is a woman who is trying to get pregnant and has been doing IVF for seven years now with no luck, and her husband Mac is suffering the consequences as well. Their marriage isn’t what it used to be, and they no longer want the same things. Single Georgie, on the other hand, has just found Liam, and he seems perfect. But things aren’t always what they seem. What do these two couples have in common with each other? You’ll find out halfway through the book, and the shocking plot twist hit me like a ton of bricks! The changes in plot seemed unexpected to me, but looking back I feel like I should’ve seen them coming. This was a long book but a fast read, and I really enjoyed it and was able to (surprisingly) relate to every one of its characters.

(picture from here)

So Much for my Happy Ending - Kyra Davis
April, the main character and protagonist of this juicy novel, officially has the Worst Husband Ever. There is no contest. Sure, he may or may not have an undiagnosed mental disorder. But that does not excuse what an awful, awful character he is. Tad becomes a completely different person after they marry, and just when you think he couldn’t get any worse (or any crazier), he absolutely does. April tries to stand by her man, even though…God, she shouldn’t. I am totally embarrassed that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. It wasn’t really like anything I’ve ever read before - it read like silly chick lit, but the plot points seemed like soap opera storylines. It was dramatic and insane and maybe a teensy bit predictable and far-fetched, and I loved every second of it. Although sometimes I sort of wanted to beat April over the head. I understand wanting to stick with a marriage, but…come on. You’ll understand after you read it. (Sister, I know you’re reading this - you would like this book!)

 

(picture from here)

An Invisible Thread - Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski
“An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, and circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle. But it will never break.” - Ancient Chinese Proverb
I expected for this book to be a little sickening and over the top. Laura Schroff was a successful businesswoman in New York during the 80s and was approached by a young panhandler in the street asking for money. Instead, she took the 11-year-old boy out for lunch, beginning a tradition that would last around 20 years or so and the start of a friendship that is still strong today. Maurice came from a very poor and drug-addicted family; he was impressed by the smallest things in Laura’s life, such as an alarm clock and a full meal. It was a touching memoir, and it really made me grateful for what I have. Such an unusual friendship, but definitely an inspiring one.



Right now I am reading the newest Jodi Picoult book.  I normally adore all of her novels, but I am just not loving this one;  it's about wolves, and I'm not getting into it so far.  We'll see how it goes!

xoxochelsea




No comments:

Post a Comment